Sunday, October 5, 2008

Our House in the Woods


Since I've started this post, I've meant to write about the differences between living here and in Chicago. The most obvious place to start would be with the size of the cities. But I'm not typical.

Robbie awoke the other morning thinking he was in some "damned Disney movie, what with all the birds and stuff making a racket outside our windows." Here, we hardly have had them closed. When it's been so hot and humid (the equivalent to two or three weeks, I think ) that we needed to turn on the air conditioners have we closed them. Even when the temperature has fallen into the 50's at night we've kept them open.

In Chicago, we rarely had the windows open. And never at night. We lived at the corner of Halsted Street & Roosevelt Road which has to be the busiest intersection for ambulance, firetruck and other rescue traffic in the entire city. Roosevelt Road is the fastest way to get to the Illinois Medical District and Halsted is only one block off of the Dan Ryan Expressway. Noise. 24 hours a day. I also don't think there is a single driver in Chicago who isn't emphatically in love with the horn in their vehicle. So, yeah, the windows were shut most of the time.

It's easier to get together with friends here. But it was easier to walk to restaurants (gawd, I miss Hashbrowns restaurant) or grab public transportation if we were going out of our neighborhood. I don't think it's humanly possible to experience just half of the great places to eat in Chicago. Everything from the bistro right off Michigan Ave. to the breakfast and lunch diner on Roosevelt Road that seemed like small town restaurants the way the waitresses remembered us on our second time there.

When the people I worked with in Chicago heard that we were moving back, they couldn't imagine why on earth we would do such a thing. After all, there is no culture outside of Chicago - well, maybe in New York. As luck would have it, The Chicago Tribune did a piece on Indianapolis that same week. I took it to work to show people and they were surprised that there WAS more here than a two and half mile oval racing track. There are theaters, restaurants, libraries, museums, festivals - everything you can find in Chicago, just on a smaller scale. Except, we do have the largest children's museum, the largest cultural event with Black Expo, and a hospitality and warmth that truly is an institution unlike anything found in Chicago.

Yes, there's more than corn here. But we Hoosiers have known that all along. It's a one of the best kept secrets about the Midwest.

If you havent' been to the bottom of the page, I've posted two pictures there. They dramatically show the contrast of our lives in just a few short months. From towering architecture, to towering maples. Chicago is a great city and I'm glad we took the chance to live there. We have Riley because of that choice, and Indianapolis will always be home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both views are great! And, I'm glad you took the chance and moved to Chicago, too. I'd hate to think how my last five years would have gone without Robbie as a supervisor and you and Hudson as playmates! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim. Linda from Haven's place. Your house looks a lot like mine in Nashville. And your car does too. I have a gold subaru outback wagon. I had a mitzubishi lancer until a tree fell on it while I was at church this summer. Yes, I was in church, apparently the giant half of a tree snapped right off during the prayer of confession and landed smack on top of my car. And it was a beautiful clear day, not even a breeze. Coincidence? Perhaps.

James Shue said...

Velo: Yeah, there were some great things that came out of that. We wouldn't change a thing... well one, but we won't mention her name. I've found that on other blogs mentioning someone by name somehow summons them. And I just can't have that bit of evil dumbass hanging around here.

Linda: What were you confessing? Must have been a doozie! And that car in the driveway is actually a Chevy Trailblazer. The extended version. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but gas was only around 2 something a gallon then. Glad you found me over here. Come back anytime.