Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Dad? Daddy? Pops? Father? Dad One? Dad Two? What's a girl to call her two dads anyway?



One of the most asked questions of us about our daughter is "What is she going to call you?" My answer is usually "anything she wants as long as she doesn't call me late for dinner." Badum bump. Thank you! I'm here all week.

It's a good question. Until recently we didn't really have an answer except for "we'll leave it up to her." Well, the question now has an answer and from none other than the girl herself. She's calling me Da-ee and Robbie is just Da. I'm sure that those are the toddler equivalents to Daddy and Dad. However she came up with them, they're our names now.

I'm not surprised that she came up with different names for us. Since we first brought her home she has been very attentive to her surroundings. Put her in a new situation and she'll just watch for a while before opening up to people. If she has a choice during those times, she wants Robbie to hold her. She's decided that he's her protector.

Fiercely independent most of the time, when she's not feeling well or wakes in the middle of the night, she wants me to comfort her. I love those moments (few that they are) when I can hold her across my shoulder, rubbing her back, humming softly while swaying slowly back and forth. After a few moments I'll ask if she's ready to go back to sleep and she'll just go limp in my arms. I place her back in her bed, she throws her arms over her head and drifts back to sleep.

No comments: