Thursday, October 30, 2008

Home

At the top of my blog is a quotation from Robert Frost. This post is about home. My/Our home.


Today is our anniversary, Robbie and me. Four years ago today, we had a church ceremony. It's not legally recognized in this state, but that matters not to us. What matters are these things:

We were surrounded by family and friends who have had a significant impact on our lives.

We wanted to declare what we meant to each other in front of our friends, family and God.

We wanted to build further on what we already had and make the foundation of US stronger.

The next day in church, the minister introduced us as having been married in the sanctuary the day before. If the minister and our friends can call it a wedding, then it was a wedding and not a commitment ceremony.

And I've never been more sure of anything in my life than knowing/believing that by committing my heart to be intertwined with Robbie's, that my life would be forever richer.

In those short four years we have:

Brought home (at different times) two Westies and lost the first one to theft. Oh, how we grieved with that loss.

Gone through an emergency appendectomy (mine) and several bouts of kidney stones (also mine) that on more than one occasion required a hospital stay.

Had a car die on us (literally) on the way to Robbie's parents over Easter weekend two years ago.

Bought a huge honking SUV to replace the dead car because we knew (hoped) that we would get a baby soon and wanted the extra protection while on the road to visit family five hours away.

Finally brought home a baby girl last year who couldn't have been more perfect for us if we had tried. Of all the jobs I've had in my life, this by far is the most rewarding, being Daddy.

Moved back to Indiana to raise our daughter here, where things just seem a little more true. A little less frantic. Let's face it. Chicago is a great city but it's exhausting to live there.

Built a life together that makes me blink and stare wide-eyed in amazement at what we have, when I have the time to take it all in.


For those of you who don't know, I'm kind of an animation freak. (It's the child inside.) My favorite one is Lilo & Stitch. There's a line toward the end of the movie where Stitch is talking about the family that he found and wants to be part of. He says "This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little and broken... but still good. Yeah. Still good."

There are a few places I could go and they would take me in if need be. Good people I have the honor to call friends. But there is only one place I want to be, and that's where ever Robbie and Riley are. My own family may be little and unconventional, but it's still good. Yeah. Still good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Happy Anniversary Jim and Robbie! I wish you love and laughter and happiness and good health and all the joy of being daddies to Riley that all of those things will bring. God Bless all three of you and your very happy home.

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! I'm glad we could be a part of your special day. :)

Jerri said...

Oh, Sock. I wish all of California had read this post before the election. Maybe Prop 8 would have turned out differently.

Health and happiness to you, always.