Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween - In the Spirit of Things

I owned a 1915 bungalow south of Fountain Square here in Indy that came with it’s very own spirit. People would see a shadow over by the upright piano in the dining room that came with the house. I’d not mention it, but notice people turning their heads in that direction from time to time and ask them what they saw. The reaction was invariably “what was that?” To which I’d say, “I think that’s the original owner of the piano and I don’t know why, but I think they want it fixed.” One of the first times that Robbie was over to my house, we were watching TV (which was on a stand by the double doors to the dining room) when I saw him whip his head around in that direction. He then slowly turned to me with this puzzled look on his face and quietly asked "What was that?"

The other odd thing that kept happening was that things would disappear only to reappear moments later in a place you’d already looked. Car keys frequently would not be where I thought I left them. Misplaced checkbook that was always kept in the same place. Remotes that would vanish and reappear later. I would just chalk up to me being an airhead.

The strangest time was when I was playing with a Westie puppy I had at the time and told him to go get his ball. Nine months old and as smart as a whip. We were in the living room and he started looking all over the place and kept coming back to me like he was trying to say “help me, I can’t find it." So I started looking under all the furniture, and moved into the bedrooms thinking maybe he left it under a bed. Well, neither I nor Max could find it.

We went back into the living room and there was the ball right in the middle of the room. A bright yellow ball on brown carpeting would have been easy to spot if it had been there to begin with. That’s the only time I really felt uncomfortable living there. I owned the house for a while and rented it out after moving in with Robbie. The renter freaked out when she saw it and called me to say that she didn't want to be there with a ghost.

The new owners got rid of the piano. I've wondered if the spirit is still with the house or if it's with the piano now. And did the person who ended up with the piano fix it?

No comments: