Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Happy New Year!


Robbie says he thinks New Years Eve is over rated.  People have this high expectation of what the evening will bring, parties should be over the top, drinking, revelry and all sorts of merriment.  And while I've been a participant to several memorable New Year's Eve celebrations, this morning I awoke to the thoughts of Janus, the Roman god of gates.  He is associated with the New Year in that walking through a gate or doorway is thought to be the start of new beginnings. 

This is close to the image of Janus that I had in my head when I woke up from my dream this morning. The image I had in my head was of two distinct expressions on his face.  And like this coin, his visage was just from the neck up.  I don't remember seeing a depiction of Janus that was more than just the bust.  I also have an image in my head that one of the faces is scowling.  It could be that I'm confusing Janus with the masks that are representative of theater - comedy/tragedy - which would also be a suitable way of looking at the past and future.  What's the expression?  If I didn't laugh, I'd have to cry.

For me, Janus represents how one looks at both the past and the future.  Which face are we to choose to look forward and/or back from?   Do we look with a scowl or with a sense of wonderment? Maybe the beauty in Janus is that the way one chooses to look at things isn't fixed, but is changeable.  And I think that being able to change your viewpoint is a better, more healthy way of seeing and experiencing the world around you. 
With that said, I want to try an experiment with the help of the people reading this blog.  I think I've been pretty open here with what I've written about over the past year and a half, but I'd like to find out if you have any questions or if there are things that piques your curiosity and I've not talked about them.  Any subject is open for you to ask as long as I can answer them in a PG forum.  (I'd rather not make this an adult only blog.) Just put you question in the comment section - they won't be made public and I'll do my best to answer them.  I'll also keep them confidential if you'd like. Just let me know what you would prefer.  Happy New Year everyone!  

No comments: