Thursday, September 3, 2009

Weird Moments: 1

Yesterday, I took my lunch outside at one of the picnic tables. Just a simple salad, hummus and crispbread. Luckily there wasn't anyone out there and I was free to read the book I had also brought with me. It's one I've been trying to read off and on for years now and I've proceeded further into the story than I ever have before. "A Prayer for Owen Meany" which many people have praised and I've tried slogging through for over some 17 years. And before you ask, yes, I'm liking it better this time. But that's not my story.

It was your typical late Indiana summer afternoon with crickets chirping and the ratcheting of cicadas in the background. Since I was at the back of the building, I wasn't hearing too much traffic noise. The view isn't that great back there. Your vista is out over asphalt lots half full with cars to sun dried grass lots in an industrial park. It was so quiet and peaceful that it was almost like being in the country. I forgot for a while that I was at work and on the edge of the city. In my mind, I half expected a tractor to come grumbling by.

And that's when the weirdness happened. Off from a great distance, the sound echoing through the clearness, came these three words: "TIN ROOF, rusted." Yes, from the classic B-52's anthem "Love Shack." Nothing proceeding those words, nothing after. Weird. And yes, the damn song has been running rampant through my head ever since. Damn it.

No comments: