Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Small (?) Challenge for 2013


Last year my nephew and a few other Facebook Friends had posted pictures for a Photo A Day challenge. This year I saw John was once again posting pictures for it. This is the challenge for January that he placed on his page a number of days ago and I thought I would try participating this year.  Yesterday was a simple assignment since it was simply about "today" and I'll post that picture here for people to see at the end of this post.  Today is also a fairly easy one as it's only been a week since Christmas and I have a few new things to photograph. I promise that I won't subject you to every picture everyday, but I will update you from time to time with some of the photographs I'm more particularly proud of. 
 
I've decided also to combine it with a little twist. I don't remember exactly where or what the suggestion was. Maybe it was writing down thoughts on slips of paper and putting them in a large container throughout the year. The idea of that exercise is to at the end of the day to write down one good thing that has happened to you today. There are so many people out there who feel that there is only bad things, unfortunate things, things out of their control all happening to them in a constant barrage of bad news. Sometimes it's just paying attention to the good things in your life to eventually break the cycle of "whoa is me" to help see the good things around us everyday. It may be something as big as getting a special recognition or promotion at work or something as little as noticing the way the lawn sparkles under the frost as the beams of the car headlights sweep across the grass.
 
That is my challenge for myself and for you. I realize I may be a day late in suggesting (or passing on) this idea but I feel if you think back to yesterday you can come up with one good thing that happened to you. For me it was spending a quiet afternoon with my family, my niece and her boyfriend, and just having a good time around a dinner that didn't exactly turn out as hoped. Dinner was the background story. The time with family is the big story. 
 
It could be a simple old shoe box that you put those scraps of paper in. It could be a glass jar so you can see the slips of paper building up. I would suggest thought that you date the events of your life as they get placed away. An advantage to this would be you could just grab something back out at random to help you through a particularly bad day and maybe give you a spark in remembering something good about that day. I do remember though that the suggestion was to write at the end of the day and keeping the container bedside. Maybe it's just a small way to give thanks and remember that even in the darkest of night there are thousands of small points of light that help guide our way.
 

And as promised here is the picture from January 1, 2013 taken around 8:00 am EST and is the view from our front door.


No comments: