Saturday, October 16, 2010

Random Stuff

Things Our Daughter Has Said:

Last week at daycare:
Woman dropping off her son "Well, aren't you just the little princess!"
Riley "I not a princess, I Riley."

Driving to a friends house:
Riley "Daddy, what that?"
Me "That's a hill."
Riley "Why?" (yes, we are deep into the "why" phase.)
Me "What do you think?"
Riley "Because why not." (yes, I've answered "why not" a few times to her why questions)



Riley "Daddy? What that?" [while patting the front of my pants]
Me "Don't touch daddy there."
Riley "Why?"
Me "That's my penis, you don't touch daddy there."
Riley "Yuck, poopie"
Me "That's not poop! Poop is around back."
Riley "No, poopie, Daddy."
(Yes, honey.  You just keep thinking that for the next twenty years or so.)


Hoosier Weddings:

Last weekend we had the privilege of being invited to the wedding for one of  Robbie's friends.  The wedding was held in a small rural town over an hour away.  The church is a newer building and doesn't have the traditional pews.  Instead, the congregation opted for interlocking chairs for what I assumed was flexible seating.  Right before the ceremony I realized that the contrasting lines of carpeting outlined a basketball court.  The church can remove the chairs, place portable basketball goals on either side of the sanctuary and turn it into a regulation size court.  It's been said  that basketball is the state religion of Indiana.  I don't think you need to look much further to find the truth of that statement.


Commute This
 (warning - rant ahead)


A little over a year ago I switched jobs.  I went from working retail and the inconvenient hours - weekends, nights and holidays -  to a Monday through Friday job.  The downside is that I went from having a five minute commute to a thirty five minute one.  I like driving.  However, I hate commuting.  I'm lucky to start work  an hour earlier than normal so that I could leave before rush hour hits.  Now I'll admit that rush hour in Indianapolis is nothing compared to Chicago, but I rarely drove in Chicago.  The big reason I hate commuting is that I have to drive through two construction zones on my way to work.  This wouldn't be a problem except for the zone on the West side.  There are four entrance ramps onto I-465 in the middle of that construction and somehow on a nearly weekly basis I've had to deal with people who don't seem to grasp the concept of merging.  The last one was a woman who was well ahead of me on the acceleration ramp.  For some reason she began to slow down and I made the mistake of slowing so that she could merge over.  Big mistake.  Traffic was heavy to my left and by the time she finally merged, we were doing fifteen miles and hour!  I was livid.  If you can't navigate traffic on the freeway, then don't get on it! 

2 comments:

sher said...

Just lovely, dear - only one of your prestige and ilk could merge poopie penis, the religion of Hoosier basketball, and Indy West traffic jams! I miss you so much! I am ba-na-na-ta-ta-bananas right now. I'm so glad we worked the recent visit in when we did!

I've only done 1 blog entry since early September . . . you are being so good this year!!!

James Shue said...

Sher, I had to re-read your comment twice! I wasn't sure what to think of the "poopie penis" comment. Yup, my mind went there.

We had such a great time with you & your family. And thanks for getting Kat & I together again. I didn't realize how much I had missed seeing her!