Tuesday, November 3, 2009

It's Carving Time!

For anyone who might have missed it, last Saturday was Halloween.  This made Riley's third Halloween.  Her second of actually getting to go Trick or Treating.  It was a tough sell for her to say Trick or Treat, but she did say "thank you" all on her own just about every time.  Her first Halloween she was a Bumble Bee and we "reverse Trick or Treated" our residence hall floor to give away candy with Riley "handing" it out.

Last year involved a costume change midway through the evening.  No, not because of an "accident" but because we had two costumes for her.  The first one was hand-made by our friend Kelly and made her look like candy corn.  The second costume was one Robbie found and couldn't resist... in honor of Haven's Blog Babies, Riley was a Sock Monkey - my nickname on Haven's blog.


This year, Riley was a little stinker.  Only figuratively of course.  A friend of ours passed on a costume that his daughter wore last year.  We dressed Riley up as a skunk this year.  I don't think she was too happy with it.  Robbie wanted to see how it fit when we got it home - it has a body suit and a hat - but she wanted nothing to do with it.  Sounding like a little Anna Nicole she quickly announced "don' li'e it" and tried tearing it off her body as fast if not faster than daddy could put it on her.  The big night arrived, she still wasn't too happy wearing it. I think with the extra padding it was a little warm, but she was a trooper and kept everything on while out Trick or Treating.  And once we were back home, the Velcro was ripped apart and she was down to her tights, black turtleneck and sneakers.  I think she was more worried about being seen fashionable than getting the candy.  That was short lived once she discovered what was in those little packages.  Pupils dilated, energy levels cranked up and another child is lost to sugary goodies.


Earlier in the day, I had started the pumpkin carving.  We had purchased three pumpkins this year - one for each of us.  I thought it would be fun to download a few templates off the internet and try some more intricate carvings than the traditional Jack-O-Lantern.  One is of a Witch on her broomstick and a second of a skull.  Only two pumpkins were carved: the Witch and a traditional Jack-O-Lantern which Robbie carved.  The skull was never done.  The Witch didn't turn out too bad for a first attempt.  The third carving was on my left index finger while carving the Witch.  I think I've learned how to do that type of carving without mangling appendages for next year:  Cut out smaller pieces at a time and keep my fingers out of the way.  I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to go to the emergency room - who has the time?  Or money for that matter. Though I probably would have gone if the bleeding hadn't stopped. Eventually.
Good thing I had plenty of gauze left over from the emergency appendectomy a few years ago.  Here's a photo of my finger after three days of healing.  It's so much better than I expected it to be.  And the cut is not at all painful since the initial searing pain from cutting myself with a dull, serrated, filleting knife.  Just keep me away from the roast turkeys this Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Little stinker. Cute! I'm with Riley, though, too hot. I still think the candy corn costume was adorable. Your finger looks good. And the witch pumpkin is awesome. You have more motivation that I do. But then, we only had 4 trick or treaters. It is just downright sad I tell you.

James Shue said...

We had a few more than that. We left the bowl on the front steps using the honor system... unfortunately the first group was young teenagers. That was it for the chocolates!

Fewer houses seemed to be passing out candy this year. I think Riley had fun anyway.

sher said...

Aw - poor little stinker, let her pick out her own costume next year!!!! That girl has class, she will never forgive you for dressing her as a skunk!

So glad to see you are back blogging your heart out!

Love You All,
Sher

carrie said...

Jim, she looks right out of a Dr. Seuss book! Does it count with her if she looks not fashionable perhaps, but adorable? These are such fun years for you and Robbie.(Please let him carve at Thanksgiving!)