Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I've been sitting here all afternoon trying to think of something profound to write. We all know where that leads for me. Profundity is not my strong suit. Instead, I've just been chilling out, with our Westie right by my side (he's literally squeezed himself between my side and the arm of the chair) and watching the snow drift slowly slowly from the sky in big fluffy clumps. Hudson hasn't ventured out as much today as usual. It's too cold outside even for him. Not much is accumulating yet, and I'm not sure how much is forecast for us here. It doesn't matter because I'm planning on staying in.

We have a couple of bird feeders that we inherited with the house. I thought they might be a pain to keep filled, but it's truly calming and a joy to watch the birds gather in, on and around the feeders each morning and evening. The previous owner was smart and included a squirrel guard on the double shepherd's hook that holds the feeders. Just yesterday I watched with great amusement as a squirrel shimmied up the post trying to figure out how to get past the guard. He wasn't successful.

All in all, it was a nice afternoon. Quiet house, soft snow falling, and a warm dog sleeping beside me. A perfect time to just relax and be.

No comments: