Thursday, November 13, 2008


Thanks to everyone for being so patient. I've had a cold the past few days. I've been working on a few personal projects (one in particular that I hope will live to see the light of day), and just trying to figure out what direction I would like to take this blog in. I still don't know. It seems to be working with just winging it. So for now, feed me a can of Red Bull, sit back and let's see what happens



I wrote this yesterday for Robbie:

Realization
The sky opened up on that cloudy October day
Illuminating your face in a manner I’d not seen
Before the rains washed the dust and ash away

But no, that’s not it at all, my mind
Opened to see what had been there all along
To imagine what everything would be with you.

You in your brown burro jacket and Doc Martins
Waiting for me in a dusty gravel lot
For me, to catch up with my heart

I realized what wonders life could bring
Joy, happiness, contentment can exist along
with the sorrow rooted deep within

This morning, early, while night still slumbered
I awake, with the words in my heart, Oh
yes, this is my reason as I curl

up to your side wrapping my self
around your warmth.
Like the sun, you warmed my heart

Yeah, I know, pure sap. But it's my sap. Then the thought entered my head that with this three line format, I easily could turn this into a villanelle. HA! You can blame one Ms. Kimmel for that. She's like that, sneaky in getting me to try new things. But once I get an idea in my head, my mind is like a pit bull and just won't let go until it's done playing with whatever it's got clenched in its jaws.


I finished it tonight. Fair warning, this is purely an amatur at play. Here it is:

Realization

The sky opened up on that cloudy October day,
Illuminating your face in a manner I’d not seen.
Before the rains washed the dust and ash away..

But no, that’s not it, it was my mind I’d say,
Open to see what all along, there had been.
The sky opened up on that cloudy October day

In your brown burro jacket under skies of grey,
Waiting for me and my heart’s desires to glean.
Before the rains washed the dust and ash away..

I suddenly knew that life’s wonders would stay
With stunning clarity in a vision so clear and clean.
The sky opened up on that cloudy October day.

Last night you slumbered, before the start of day
I awake, while thoughts of love in my head careen.
Before the rains washed the dust and ash away.

Come good times, come bad times, come what may,
I love you with a confidence I’d never before seen.
The sky opened up on that cloudy October day,
Before the rains washed the dust and ash away.


I wil say that I had fun with this form of poetry writing. It was challenging in the fact that I don't do rhyming and I've never written a villanelle. You can go to Haven's blog to see more on the villanelle and her take on the insanity (?)of trying such a thing. Insane on my part anyway. I will also freely admit to pilfering the words "come what may" from Moulin Rouge... one of our favorite songs. Yup. Pure sap.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Puke, gag. ;) :)

James Shue said...

Yeah, you say that now, but wait till I write one about you, snookums. Miss you. (But my aims getting better.)

carrie said...

Sap? We should all have such sap written about us.

Great rewrite, Sock. Robbie is proud and teary too, I'm guessing.

James Shue said...

Carrie, he loved both versions. It was a first for him. Proud? Yep. Teary? No. But very proud of me.